Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Follow your gut

Over the winter break I started to think about one of my dance classes and decided I should probably drop it because it was starting to get a little dangerous. It's a hip hop class, but the teacher is a breakdancer, and a lot of the moves have been getting more and more difficult and gymnastic. I'm more of a popper than a breaker anyway, and I just started having bad feelings about that class. However, when I called to cancel, they told me I had already signed a contract for the next six months and the deadline to cancel was January 1st. Sigh... I figured no big deal, the class is pretty fun -- I'll just keep going. So what happens in the very first class of 2009? I tear my meniscus of course! Landed on my left foot completely bent underneath me and twisted inwards. Felt two small pops and right away knew it was probably not a good injury. I had flashbacks of Booby Miles in the movie Friday Night Lights. My short-lived dancing career was suddenly over. Haha, well, not completely, I'm being a little dramatic, but it is really unfortunate and frustrating that I had a feeling something bad was going to happen but just ignored it because of the money. I'll find out on Monday whether or not I'll need surgery... I'm really hoping I don't.
The moral of the story: Follow your gut instincts even if it costs you $50/month!

Edit: turns out it was a gastroc tear, not a meniscus tear, so no surgery needed! What a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment